Construction Marketing Challenges, Strategies and IdeasLearn which marketing strategies other construction companies are using to increase their leads and sales and get the construction marketing help you need.
Are you still figuring out new methods and marketing ideas to help you overcome sales challenges in the construction industry?
Construction marketing has changed a great deal over the past few years, and below, we’re going to show you some of the best marketing strategies and ideas that can help you overcome the challenges you now face.
The Buyer’s Journey
Let us introduce you to Bill, from Down-to-Earth Construction Ltd
Over the past five years, Bill has been finding it increasingly difficult to engage with customers and attract new leads to his construction business using old methods such as PPC (Pay Per Click), cold-calling and direct mail. His sales and revenue have suffered as a result.
However, this is not due to a decline in the professionalism of his business, the quality of materials he’s buying, or the workmanship of his employees – the real reason is actually because buyer behaviour in his industry has changed.
Bill needs some construction marketing help!
Businesses and consumers alike are now more cautious with their money, and prefer to do their own research on significant purchases before making a final decision.
In fact, up to 60% of the buyer’s decision has likely already been made before they even contact you.
So, what should Bill do to attract new customers?
Bill decided to go a quick Google search for ‘construction marketing ideas’ and found content marketing – an essential element of the inbound methodology.
He was surprised to learn that 54% more leads are generated by inbound tactics than via traditional paid marketing.
Bill’s not alone in looking for new construction marketing ideas. In fact, around 93% of construction companies, said that they would be increasing marketing activities in 2015. (via the Construction Marketing Association)
And an impressive 71.4% said they would be increasing content marketing. Other internet tactics construction companies would be increasing include:
- Website Development 83.3%
- Social Media 83.3%
- SEO 82.7%
- Mobile Marketing 55.5%
- Paid Search or PPC 31%
It turns out that PPC hasn’t been working for other firms recently, either. It’s actually the top ‘internet tactic’ construction companies claimed they were DECREASING this year.
Having looked at the statistics, Bill already feels quite sold on content marketing – but how is he going to share all of that lovely content?
Social media is a growing trend that is being included more and more in construction marketing strategies. According to recent studies (via Pauley Creative):
70% of construction companies are starting to engage with followers compared to 55% in 2014.
80% of construction companies that hadn’t given up on Facebook are still regularly posting updates.
90% of the construction companies have linked to social media accounts on their company websites – compared to only 55% in 2014.
And perhaps most interestingly, 95% of construction companies are on Youtube with 70% posting regular video content.
Inbound marketing takes a much more holistic approach to marketing than traditional methods, and encompasses many elements such as content marketing, email nurturing, SEO and social media.
It essentially focuses on the challenges your customers face at every single stage of their buyer’s journey, and helps you solve their problems by coming up with helpful, informative and useful content they’ll love.
By empowering them to make the right choice for themselves – instead of just throwing sales messages at them and hoping for the best – you build trust and authority whilst making sure you attract that right kind of people to your website – the ones that are most likely to buy.
And you might be surprised at the cost. In fact, inbound marketing actually costs 62% less per lead than traditional outbound marketing.
Construction Marketing Tips and Tactics
Welcome to Construction Marketing 101! In this section of the site, you can learn the all the essentials of construction and inbound marketing, as well as some great tips and ideas to help you market your own construction business!
What’s the best way to market my construction business?
If you’re looking at all your options, you’ve probably heard of marketing tactics such as SEO, email marketing, content marketing and perhaps even inbound marketing. But what does it all mean? We’ve covered everything you need to know right here:
- The Ultimate Guide to Marketing for Construction Companies
- Construction Company Marketing Plans That Make Money: A 9-Step Process
- 10 New Construction Marketing Ideas That Will Increase Your Revenue
- 5 Reasons Why Construction Companies Need Inbound Marketing
- The 5 Most Important Lessons I’ve Learned From Construction Marketing
- 13 Ways to Generate Construction Leads for Your Business
How much should marketing for construction cost?
There are various factors to take into consideration when buying marketing services for your construction business, including the type of services you need (we recommend a holistic, rounded approach) and how you’re going to implement these services (using software, via an agency etc.).
Check out the following blogs for more advice about cost.
- How Much Should Inbound Marketing REALLY Cost?
- The Average Cost of Content Marketing (Second-last section)
- How Much Should a Website Really Cost?
- How to Measure the True Value of SEO for Your Business (Second-last section)
What kind of results can I expect from construction marketing?
Curious about how long construction marketing can take to work, and the kind of results you can expect? We understand it’s particularly important to have a realistic idea of the return you can expect on your marketing efforts, which is why we’ve highlighted some of your key concerns in the blogs below:
- What Results to Expect from Inbound Marketing
- How Long Does Inbound Marketing Take to Work?
- How to be Confident Inbound Marketing Will Succeed
- How to See Better ROI with Inbound Marketing
How can I improve on my current construction marketing efforts?
Struggling to get results with your construction marketing? This section has a few tips and useful nuggets of advice you can try for yourself to see optimum results.
- Construction Marketing: How to Stop Relying on Friends and Referrals
- How Construction Companies Can Distance Themselves From Cowboys
- How to Improve Your Construction Business’s SEO
- Construction Advertising: Why You Need to Drop Radio Ads Now
- 5 Reasons Word of Mouth Only Gets Construction Businesses So Far
- 5 of the Best Construction Blogs [Examples of Content Marketing That Works]
- Construction Marketing: What You Need to Know About Google My Business
How can I use social media to market my construction business?
The chances are, you’ve probably already dipped your toe in the water with social media, but how can you tell if you’re doing it right? We’ve shed some light on the subject below:
- Construction Marketing: Should You Be on Twitter?
- Construction Marketing: The Best Tips for Getting Started on Pinterest
- To Businesses That Want Results on Facebook But Don’t Know Where to Start
- How Social Media Can Attract Visitors to Your Website
Are there other resources that I will find helpful?
Below, we’ve put together a list of helpful resources aimed at marketing in the construction industry, from informative guides, to helpful checklists.
- Inbound Marketing Made Simple: A Jargon-Free Guide for Construction Companies
- The Construction Website Checklist
- Clearing the Path to Business Growth- A True Construction Success Story
What other tips are there for me to see results?
This last section covers a lot of other common issues we find relate to construction marketing and companies looking to improve the way they work. You might find some of these useful:
- 7 of the Best Project Management Software for Construction Companies
- 5 Steps Construction Companies Can Take to Eliminate Being Undercut by Competitors
- 5 Reasons Why Construction Companies Need to Show Prices on Their Website
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Construction Selling
- How to Stop Wasting Time on Construction Quotes That Don’t Win Business
- Construction Selling: How to Sell More with Less
- Construction Companies: Recruit the Best Employees with Inbound Marketing
Get the plan that has turned our customers' sites into lead generating machines—free.
You provide an excellent service for your customers, and you're great at closing business - but sometimes the hardest part is reaching new customers to engage with. We understand, and we can help.